Monday, November 10, 2003

OK, so I am not a faithful blogger. What can you do. Let me tell you...I was a bit preoccupied. Here is a story.
I had my first patient die last week on my night shift. Its not like you go into your shift thinking that will happen. The man was 75, in end stage renal failure, and basically had no brain activity...but his wife was still holding on. She did not want to sign a Do Not Resuscitate order (DNR), so he was still a full code patient (meaning he got the works if he went down). So I walk in the room to check up on him at 5:25 AM and I'm like, wait a minute. This guy is not doing his fast, shallow breathing any more. There is nothing. I check for a carotid pulse. Oh my gosh, nope. Think, ok maybe I am missing something...stick my stethoscope to his chest...OK, CODE BLUE! Grab help and things swing into action. The code team runs up, the code cart is there...CPR starts, they are running fluids, pushing meds. Nothing. 0544 official time of death. OH BOY. Then comes all the other stuff.

So God, You put me here...you know the exact beginnings and endings of life. You are over all things, control all things, care about all things. I can trust you.
I'll take it. What else is even worth trying to hold on to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home