Monday, January 26, 2004

Today was very exciting at work. I got to give epinephrine for the first time, although it was not the "swing and jab" into the thigh method. A 7th grade boy was having an allergic reaction after eating a pine nut. The reaction had not progressed to the point of severe respiratory distress, but he was swelling up nicely. We also had to give him a steroid injection. He was SOOO scared of the shots and would not turn over (bum shots), telling his mom "I just can't do it!". Finally with four of us in there plus the mother, the other nurse and I gave him a double bum shot - one in each cheek at the same time (POOR KID!)- using everyone else to flip him over and hold him down. His little butt was so tense. Every time we checked on him after that he said "I'm fine, except for my butt!" He got a Finding Nemo shark sticker when he left. He still thinks stickers are cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home