Tuesday, March 30, 2004

So I see all sorts of stuff at the clinic...but I thought I was not in a city, even a COUNTRY, where I would see a patient for a ZEBRA BITE!
Yes, I said zebra.

The little 8-year-old girl (AKA bite victim) tells me "I know what it looked like." "Oh really?" I said wondering if she got the plates. "Yes, its head was black and white, and it's body was white and brown," she said with complete confidence. "Thank you, that is very good to know," I replied glancing at her step-dad to see if he wanted to laugh just as much as I did.

So you want to know the story? It turns out she was at Fossil Rim, that wildlife drive-through park with her real dad on Saturday. They were doing a no-no...feeding the animals with their hands instead of tossing the food out of the car. Zebra approaches, sees food, bites hand, HANGS ON, lets good, dad does not wash daughter's hand, dad does not tell park authorities, dad puts bandaid on daughter's pinky finger, dad finally makes daughter take a shower the next evening (as step-dad says...he finally cleans them up Sunday night before we pick them up for the week), step-dad and mom take daughter to clinic, 24 hour state law required time to report animal bite has definitely passed, clean girl's swollen little pinky finger up (with several zebra tooth marks quite visible),I try to figure out who to report this bite to, leave message for a "special agent" at the US Fish and Wildlife office out of Ft Worth (woah, special agent), talk with Sheriff's office in Glen Rose, was told a deputy would call me back, waiting to hear back. Good times.
Crazy zebra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home