Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Yesterday at the clinic a 14-year-old girl came in with her mom because she had a rash. The mom told the girl to take down her pants so I could see the girl's legs...this is a normal thing. There is a bandaid on the girl's leg near her knee...I immediately think the rash must be worse on that spot. The mom tell the girl to take off the large bandaid. Around it are some pink splotchy areas, doesn't look live hives, just some sort of dermatitis. The rash is the worst on the cheeks of her face. Off comes the bandaid. Underneath are the words "HELP ME" clearly scratched into her skin and slightly scabbed over. I wasn't prepared for that (and how could they have prepared me to see it?). She had used a dirty razor blade two days before to cut, tried on her arm too but definitely not as precise as her leg. They thought the rash was from the razor...but the doctor decided it was probably the new medication she has been started on (released from the psych ward at the hospital a week earlier). That is a picture that won't leave my mind.

On a lighter note, thanks to Daniel and Justin for kindly introducing me to Quiznos. Now I am obsessed. I called all the Quiznos in the phone book to find out which one was closer (about 10 or so). Then I promptly drove to the nearest location and bought a nice Turkey Ranch & Swiss.

I have to put things in their own special box in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home