Last Tuesday I met with two ladies from the after school girls club program where I may volunteer. Katarena, the coordinator, found out I was a Christian and was so happy. She said she was praying asking God how she was going to be able to do it and felt like I was an answer to prayer. We spent a few hours together talking and she took me on a tour of the area to see the schools and other local sights of interest. I saw the golf club where Michael Campbell (famous Kiwi golfer) learned to play and Titahi Bay beach (a suburb right on the coast). Katarena was so sweet – I hope the volunteering works out.
Wednesday, I got up early to catch the train to the Mana station (about 10-15 minutes north of Tawa). I walked to the marina to wait for the Dept of Conservation boat that was to take me to Mana Island – my volunteer adventure for the next three days! The little red boat pulled up driven by a bearded, outdoorsy fellow named Hugh wearing wool DoC issue jumper, shorts and knee high rubber boots– I could tell this was going to be a trip! Doreen, an older woman, was also waiting for the boat. She was with the organization, Friends of Mana, the group that asked me to volunteer. She and I would work together during our stay. She has been with Friends of Mana for several years and became my personal guide on the island, as she was quite familiar with it all.
The ride across the sea to Mana Island was rather rough, but nothing compared to our wild roller coaster of a ride back. Many trips are cancelled due to the windy weather that causes some pretty big swells. Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed wearing a life jacket for the first time ever. There is no time for seasickness when you focusing on survival.
Upon our arrival on the island, we were quickly sent to the “Rat Room” – a special room just for unpacking your luggage. We were told if any rodents jump out of our bags, we were to do the dirty work and kill them immediately. Mana Island is pest free – they did a major rat hunt several years ago (catching 204 rats in one night alone). The island is managed by the Dept of Conservation and supported by Friends of Mana. A very basic summary of the plan for the island – it had been cleared, farmed and used as pasture land for sheep and cattle for I think over 100 years. Its said the first export of wool from NZ came from Mana Island. The island was taken over with the intent to return it to its natural state, protected as a reserve for native New Zealand plants and animals - a lengthy restoration process.
There were six of us on the island for the rest of the week: Me and Doreen for nursery work, Hugh and Tony (full time island-dwelling DoC employees), Kelvin (contracted to pull undesirable plants “weeds” for 9 weeks on the island) and Di (weed pulling accomplice) – quite a crew. Tony got us oriented, then set us to work in the nursery. Doreen and I were “pricking out”. This means we were to take tiny tree seedlings from a tray full of sprouts and plant them in planters for continued nursery care. We fit the planters in the metal holders, filled them with moist soil, and then got to work. I planted exactly 1248 seedlings over the three days! (Check out the photos of the nursery.) Doreen and I talked and listened to NZ public radio while we worked. We took breaks for hot drinks and tramps around the island. Doreen was a great guide, showing me all the interesting historic spots on the island and pointing out new growth, bush, trees and wildlife. She explained that there is a specific way and order to reintroduce plants and animal species onto the island. For example, the tree seedling we were pricking out were important because when they were planted and growing, they would become “nursery” trees that would serve as a protective covering and environment for other species of plants to grow underneath. Amazing stuff (and God has all this going naturally – it just moves a lot quicker, relatively, when people are helping the process along in places like Mana Island)!
We were caught in a rainstorm Wednesday afternoon, but saw an amazing rainbow as a result. I only brought one pair of sneakers and they were completely soaked! I noticed a long row of large rubber work boots along the nursery wall (the popular fashion on the island – everyone was wearing them – with work pants tucked in of course). I found the only small pair, just my size, so Tony said I could borrow them until my shoes dried out. With those boots on I felt like I fit in a bit more with the conservation crowd. We all gathered in the evening to fix our meals (bring your own food) and relaxed before lights out at 9 pm when the generator shut off. I had borrowed a sleeping bag from Katie (upstairs neighbor), which kept me nice and warm during the cold rainy night. I am thinking it would be best to invent in a good backpacker’s backpack, sleeping bag and other tramping gear as it’s been necessary over the last several weeks.
The next day was much the same activities, with opportunity to help catch one of the rare flightless NZ Takahe birds for banding. Our gang cornered off the “Lockwood gang” of Takahe birds and singled out the bird yet to get an ankle band. I was even given a net in case it came running my way! Tony and Hugh carefully caught the bird, put on the band, took feather samples to send off to see if it was male or female, and weighed the Takahe before sending it off to rejoin the gang. Between pricking out, I went for a sunny walk along the beach and Doreen and I had time to sit in the woods to see if we could scout out any of the birds recently transported to the island (only heard a few). I did get to see quite a few geckos in the bait boxes around the island. Check out the photos for some visuals.
Friday morning we were all anxiously awaiting Hugh’s weather report as we were not sure if we would be able to get off the island due to strong winds. Hugh said to have our bags packed in case we had to leave quickly. We left just after lunch – leaving Tony to have the entire island for himself until the next volunteer group arrived on Saturday. After our “exciting” trip back to the marina, it was back home. Productive work and the reward of exploring the island and meeting new people – a brilliant way to volunteer.
Saturday night we were invited to a birthday party for our American friend Katie (works at the embassy). What a blast – she has a great house provided by the embassy in Wellington overlooking the hills and out to the water. Many of her coworkers came – Americans, Kiwis, and other internationals. The party was probably the first time we’ve been around so many Americans since we were back home – even though its great to be in another culture, it is still comforting to be around your own. We had a super time hanging out with Katie and her friends; she was a great hostess (and she had coveted Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups)!!!


1 Comments:
Hi there Kelly, I am out searching for the latest information on Butter and found your site. Although this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for Butter related information, and i'm glad I stopped by even though this isn't a perfect match. Great post, thanks for the read!
Post a Comment
<< Home